2016 Motorcycle Cannonball

2016 Motorcycle Cannonball

Monday, September 17, 2018

The Black Hills

Stage 9 from Pierre to Sturgis, then a much needed rest day. A long one at 300 miles, or third long hard day in a row. Just get there, and some much needed maintenance. Easing along at about 50 miles, I heard a pop, then a metallic clanck. Pulling to the side of the road, I start looking for the problem. Only firing on one cylinder. Check the plug wires, then the mag, the realize the front exhaust valve is hung open. About this time fellow rider Joe Gimpel stops, and decide to pull the pocket valve. I remove the front intake, and the valve face is gone, with a large piece of it stuck in the exhaust valve. Off comes the head. About now the support wagon pulls up to pick me up, but I convinced them I could fix it. So we put another intake valve in, and took off, but way behind schedule. For the next 50 miles, the grim reaper sweep bus rode right on my tail, so I really hated to stop and let them know my fuel tank was leaking.

Now I have another dilemma, so I just dump the fuel in the font tank, and take off on the rear, trying to stay on time. We rode thru the Badlands, and came across some other bikes having problems, so the chase truck got off my case for a while. Then about 5 miles from gas in Rapid City, I ran out and had to wait for the truck with some spare gas.


Out of gas in South Dakota



By the time I was rolling again, I was late again, but picked up an hour by not stopping for lunch. With only about 60 miles to go, I turned off the highway headed toward mt Rushmore and the Black Hills. The bike was not running well at all, and I didn't think it would climb the hills that were coming. It got very hot climbing, and I walked along side pushing and slipping the clutch for the last bit up Rushmore. It got so hot the intake manifold hose melted. Refusing to quit, I got a Mt Dew can from a park ranger and cut a bandaid for the tube.


Mt Dew Manifold


After cooling down a bit I took off towards Sturgis, just 60 miles to go and just enough time. Easing along, enjoying the black hills, and the motor broke another intake valve. Only this time, it took the head with it. So after so much struggle, the day was done about 69 miles to soon.



End of the Road

Lots of work to do our day off!



No comments:

Post a Comment