2016 Motorcycle Cannonball

2016 Motorcycle Cannonball

Monday, September 17, 2018

Midway: Recap of 1800 miles

The days fly by on these events. You lose track of where you are, what day it is, etc. it's also hard to find time to get everything done. Day 1 and 2 went smoothly, with minimal trouble. The adjustments to the bike made over the last two years seem to be working. We made every mile, and are running in the top 10.

Day 3 was rained out, with over 3" of rain some the roads were flooded and unsafe, so we trailered the bikes to the next stop. Things go pretty smooth over the next stages, with flat roads, cool conditions, and minimal trouble. Still running a perfect score.


Pulling into Anamosa Iowa 


Things started getting exciting on stage 7 from Anamosa to Spirit Lake. It was another long day, and as I pulled into the hosted lunch stop, I realized my rear tire was going flat. So during lunch I removed the tire and found a valve core leaking. So after reinstalling the wheel, I left the lunch stop a little late. About 65 miles later the tire was flat again, so I replaced the tube on the side of the road. Shortly thereafter, I was removing the tire for the third time. This time I had to patch the tube, and I removed the rim lock, and headed to the destination at the Indian Motorcycle Factory. Knowing I would be close, I rode it hard, squeaking in with 3 minutes left of my 45 minute grace period. Still on perfect score, and running 7th.


Arrivng at Spirit Lake

Stage 8 took us into South Dakota, and the terrain started to roll and the winds picked up. Another long day (300 + miles) and the bike is showing it's age. Arrived at the hosted dinner by the Missouri River with the bike barely running. A long night replacing intake valves, dome washers, and springs, and we head for Sturgis and a day off. Still on perfect score, and running 7th.



No comments:

Post a Comment